Veteran Military Friendly Congregations (VMFC) is a program that promotes community, acceptance, and support for Veterans and their families. Faith is a proven and fundamental component to healing, recovery, and the mental health well being of veterans. As such, the mission of VMFC is to bring our servicemen and women closer to God and highlight the healing power of God. By becoming a VMFC, your congregation can provide crucial support and love to Veterans and their family members. Oftentimes, Veterans are reluctant to seek help through traditional avenues and resources, especially concerning mental health issues. However, Veterans are usually more comfortable approaching a clergy person. By becoming a VMFC, you and your congregation can be prepared and equipped to help and counsel Veterans seeking help and resources.
Why your organization should consider being a Veteran Military Friendly Congregation
- Veterans are 10 times more likely to approach a clergy person when seeking aid
- VMFC finds, honors, and recognizes Veterans for their service
- Ensures Veterans receive the benefits they need and want
- Provides a higher quality of life for Veterans and their families through information and resources
- Teaches, informs, and increases awareness to Veteran resources
- Finds hurting Veterans and begins to facilitate the help that they need
Benefits of being a Veteran Military Friendly Congregation
- Brings veterans and their family members back into the congregation
- Brings Veterans closer to God, and highlights the healing power of God
- Provides a wonderful opportunity for community outreach
- Potential for growing and strengthening the congregation
- Builds relationships with the congregation
- Little to no financial impact on congregations
Veteran/Military Friendly Congregation (VMFC) was conceived to promote a sense of community, acceptance and support for Veterans and their families. Launched by Faith-Based Communities, it has become an integral part of the Faith Based Initiative. The mission is to mobilize an army of Veterans through diverse congregational groups who will support and assist those attending Veterans with special needs relative to their service.
A key aspect of our Veteran Friendly program is building a support structure for military members, veterans, and their family members in each and every community. Congregations and congregation based programs are essential to getting this accomplished. Building Military Ministries in each Congregation is our goal. The outreach goals is possible with your support. Almost 50% of our military, veterans & their families live outside rural communities were limited services are available. One of the best ways to find our brothers and sisters are through our faith-based communities. Our national initiative is possible by starting with you.
Please complete the enrollment form below or email Stephen Stott at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Military Chaplains Association
Attn: Veteran/Military Friendly Congregation Program
P.O. Box 7056
Arlington, VA 22207-7056
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to call MCA Assistant Administrator Stephen Stott at 803-409-9519, VMFC TN Regional Coach Ed Junod at 865-850-8376 or Everett Price at 770-634-6880.